Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mothers Day



Today it is Mothers Day (and my birthday). The sun is shining; Liam woke up as bright as a button at 6.30am. I wasn't quite as bright :)

I made this for Mum last year and got it done just in time for Christmas. Its designed by Natalie Lymer of Cinderberry Stitches and was featured in Australian Homespun (No. 59Vol.9.4). Its rather appropriate as with 3 daughters and 7 grandchildren, she has a fair amount of juggling to do. We all love her dearly.
I had asked Mum what her favourite colour was, to which she replied that she usually wore blue. After pointing out that not what I necessarily meant , she did tell me she loved autumn colours. I had this charm pack of reds which I had shown her and she had liked, so I had my colour scheme. Mum in a blue dress with plenty of autumnal tones. You can see the original colours here

Thats the wonderful thing about the human heart , there's always room for one more to love without diminishing the love for any of the current occupants. I believe the love is enriched by the new addition. I certainly found that to be the case with my sons. Both of them and their girlfriends were quite excited to welcome a new addition to the household. It is always special (especially now that they have left home) when we are all together. Liam is always excited to see them, even if he doesn't show it in the usual way. He is much more animated and excited. Although he may appear to be more interested in watching his film, he certainly knows when they are gone. He becomes quiet. On one memorable occasion he was in tears as soon as the door shut when they left. On another, (when his Dad had to go out unexpectedly) he cried "Dah dee!" as the first door shut and "Oh No!" as the second closed a second later. On both occasions I had to quickly take him outside to at least watch them leave. He also knows when Daddy is due home and will utter Dah Dee and/or go to the window and look out. If Daddy is very late, he shows his displeasure by ignoring him...once only forgiving him when he gave him a bath. Liam loves the water. If Daddy is early, he often gets a big welcome and has run down the hallway to see him. He also likes to climb in bed with him in the morning...DH is NOT a morning person.

BTW, My sister pointed out that I should have mentioned that I had painted the puppy in the previous post. I used folk art paints that blended with the chosen fabrics and textile medium. Actually I rather pleased the recipient turned out to be a little girl given the obsession that cats are for girls and dogs are for boys (at least as far as craft and clothing are concerned).

3 comments:

  1. Liam certainly has a way of communicating - it's just learning his language that will take the time!
    Happy Mother's Day AND Happy Birthday dear sis...
    mwah mwah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sharon

    I'm the Editor for Homespun magazine and we're very impressed with your version of Natalie Lymer's project. I wonder whether you would be interested in sending in a hi-res image to Elizabeth who does our Mailbag page so that we can feature it in the magazine. If you would like to contact her directly, her email is enewton@universalmagazines.com.au Hope that's ok. Sorry for leaving a comment this way but I couldn't find your email address on your blog.

    Cheers

    Catherine Sanchez
    Editor
    Homespun

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE your MASTER PIECE!! Great work Sharon... :) I just read the comment b/4 me and what a great honor to be featured in a magazine!! Your talent is beautiful... Smiles!! Michelle :)

    ReplyDelete